Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Horrible Conspiracy

Yes, thats what Valentines Day is to me.

Not even in a "I'm such a single loser" kind of way even. I feel bad for couples too.
All that pressure to live up to something but no one is quite sure what.

(xkcd)
Every year aside from those few I was married, I've been a single lady on Valentines Day. That wouldnt even be so bad if I wasnt the ONLY single lady I know.

So a couple years ago I started going on the most unromantic platonic Valentines Day dates I could come up with.

2009- I met up with J whose girlfriend lived out of town and couldnt make it in for the weekend. We dressed up in our fanciest hipster swag and went to a local coffeeshop for soup and tea. We had our picture taken very Senior Prom like, and then went to the Opera. After the Opera we drove around town, stopped and bought an $8 bar of chocolate and a slice of pizza to share and then went on the "skywalk" around town which basically leads you through every large hotel and convention center in town, two or three stories up.
(J and I crashing some party in a hotel)
2010- Was the year of gluten free, kosher pizza, dancing to 80's music, and alot of beer with D. We came home damp from the sweat, sticky from the spilled drinks, and completely exhausted from all the 80's mania.

So what will 2011 bring? I believe I've secured my platonic date for the evening and I'm still trying to decide what we should do. The more random, and un-date like, the better. I need to look into whats happening around town and get some ideas and then I think its kind of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of night.

So I think at this point, I almost feel bad for the people who have all these expectations about the day because I'll be out riding around in a rickshaw, taking a baked good tour of the city, watching a bluegrass band, or something equally as random.

p.s. The Giveaway is still going on. Go check it out.

p.s.s. New layout today. Any thoughts? Im still on the fence.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I love the new look of your blog!
I'm all about the platonic Valentine's date. I've never had a boy to do it with, but I've had many girl dates on Valentines Day. Look for a concert around town or an open mic night... might make for a fun evening!

Amber

Tammy said...

I love the new look! Looks great! We have you all set up to be the guest host tomorrow! :) I have even challenged our hoppers to get you up to 50 followers by the end of tomorrow!

I agree about Valentine's Day. I am married so will probably just be buying Papa Murphy's heart shaped pizza for the kids...I like to do things for the kids but the rest is just okay. I don't like flowers (unless it's a plant) because they die...and I am very simple in the jewelry dept...so...what does that leave? Chocolate and I am trying to lose 30 pounds so that's a bad idea...so will save our money and buy something more meaningful later on.

Erica K said...

I always tell my husband to not do anything, he loves me and does little things throughout the year, why do we need a day to tell us when we should show our love?

new follower from thursday cafe- http://www.bassgiraffe.com/2011/02/weekly-linkups-30.html

MMAR said...

The blog looks great. Congrats on guest hosting Thursday's friends cafe. The hubby & I don't really celebrate Vday! We spend it at home. Good luck on the 50 for thusday. : )
~Melissa
http://www.mnmrheinlander.blogspot.com

1grown2togo said...

New GFC follower from Thurday's Frieds Cafe Hop~Grats on guest hosting the hop~Shari

http://www.1grown2togo.blogspot.com

Denise G said...

New GFC follower through Thursday Blog Hop. I love your point of view! I agree what the heck is expected and what are we suppose to do. But I suppose it is like a two sided coin here. Because I am single. So I guess it is good or isn't it lol...

http://40plussinglebbw.blogspot.com/

Jaz said...

New follower fr. Thurs. blog hop. pls follow back :)

Roller Coaster said...

I'm not a big fan of V-day either, and I haven't been single in 12 years!

New follower from Thursday Friends and Giveaways!

Wife on the Roller Coaster
http://www.ridingtherollercoaster.com

Unknown said...

New Follower from the Thursday Blog Hop. I LOVED platonic V-days. I did them forever (just got married two years ago and I'm in my 30's). I still don't care for Vday, but the hubby does, so I give him his moment. Hope you stop by!

Laura
http://starnesintn.blogspot.com

Gina Alfani said...

Congrats on being in the spotlight at Thursday Friends Cafe Blog Hop . . . I'm your newest follower.

I believe that we should be loving every day, not just one day . . . but, when I am in a relationship, I always celebrate by making it extra special.

Have a wonderful day . . . Gina

http://myfloridaparadise.blogspot.com
http://fabulousfrugalista.blogspot.com
. . . and more!

Mrs. Lefler said...

Following your spotlight via Thursday Friends Cafe Blog Hop, I am next in your new followers!

Valentines yes it is commercial, but sometimes people need a reminder to tell the person they love that they are special. (Men mostly) So Valentines save the ladies out there that never get a romantic gesture from their man.

It is fun that you make a sweet tradition for your Valentines. That seems like a bunch of fun.

http://www.savingyourgreen.blogspot.com/

Rachel @ Little Kitchen, Big Bites said...

I'm a new follower from the Thursday Friends Cafe Blog Hop!

Hubby and I still dont really feel the need to make a big deal out of Valentines Day...everything's too crowded anyway. Looking forward to reading!

Mrs. H
http://myhappilyeveraftertheend.blogspot.com

Everly said...

i have never celebrated valentines day seriously. my husband and I don't even acknowledge it. i think it's stupid, really.

Post a Comment